Wellfleet became a parish separate from Eastham in 1721, a condition of incorporation being that a Church building and pastor should be provded. Originally, there were no separate Town and Church Meetings; all business was transacted without differentiation in the one Parish Meeting. The first Meeting House was at Chequessett Neck, but a new site was chosen at the head of Duck Creek in 1740. The present building on this site was erected in 1850. In 1879 the graceful, tapering steeple was blown down, and it was thought desirable to rebuild on more substantial lines. The edifice is known to many people through photographs published in leading periodicals. Features of the building are the rare stained glass window depicting a ship of the Mayflower period, the Hook and Hastings organ which has been given special mention by the American Organ Historical Society, and the Town Clock which is equipped with a ship's bells striking system. In 1990 we voted to become a Just Peace Church.