Forest Park Museum and Arboretum was originally developed in the 1940's by Eugene Hastie, a farmer, local historian and author. The arboretum was planted in straight lines to allow farming between the rows of growing trees.
Since the original purchase of the 5-acre park in 1966, the Dallas County Conservation Board has added 12 acres of re-established prairie and wildflowers. There is a mowed walking trail that perimeters the prairie. The arboretum consists of over 100 different species of primarily native trees and shrubs.