The Grace A. Dow Memorial Library provides open access to quality resources, which satisfy the life-long informational, educational, and cultural needs of all members of our community.
1899- Midland Library Association was formed as a subscription library with 25 charter members paying $1 a year that entitled them to check out 1 book a week for the year. Mary Dow, sister to Herbert H. Dow, was the first librarian.
1900- Midland opened it's first library in a room at the Unitarian Church with a collection of 200 books. 1400 books were borrowed the first year.
1915- The Library Association voted to transfer the control of the library to the Board of Education. The City agreed to pay $350 annually toward expenses.
1954- The Library opens the current building designed by Alden B. Dow. Grace A. Dow (1869-1953), the wife of Herbert H. Dow, founder of The Dow Chemical Company, loved life, learning, and her community. Because of her desire to contribute to the community and her vision for the future, she endowed the library that proudly bears her name.