Please call before attending any upcoming community events, as it is possible that they may be postponed or canceled as a result of Covid-19.
You can find CDC updates at cdc.gov/coronavirus; AARP has additional resources at aarp.org/coronavirus
The Grove Presbyterian Church originates from October 1, 1785, when the Mahoning English Presbyterian Church was chartered, the first church in Mahoning Settlement, now known as Danville. The land for the church site was purchased in 1775. The original log church was replaced by a brick edifice in 1826. The growth of Danville southward toward the river prompted discussion of choosing a new church site. The Mahoning Presbyterian Church structure was then built, dedicated in 1853. Sentimental attachment to the old grove ran strongly in the hearts of some of the congregation, however, and they longed to return. An amicable arrangement was concluded, the brick church restored to use, and the “North” Presbyterian congregation came into being in October 2, 1855. A change of name was authorized in July of 1864 to “The Grove Presbyterian Church of Danville.” On October 24, 1875, the present Gothic stone building with the high spire was dedicated.
On September 24, 1995, the new wing, which included the renovation of the fellowship hall and basement Sunday school classrooms, was dedicated. The stonework to this addition matches the Shickshinny grey stone used in the original Gothic structure.
The Moeller organ was installed in 1914 and was moved from the balcony to the front of the sanctuary in 1920. It is one of the largest in the area. In 1998 it was reconditioned along with the Sanctuary.
Grove Church is one of 44 Presbyterian churches located in Northumberland Presbytery, Synod of the Trinity. In the Presbyterian Church pastors and officers are all elected by congregational vote. The congregation also is consulted on major decisions affecting its life. The Session, however, is the governing body of the Grove Church, responsible for its spiritual and temporal welfare.
The Grove Church elects representatives from the congregation to participate in the Danville-Riverside Area Christian Ministries (DRACM), the local association of congregations, dedicated toward ecumenical effort in the areas of evangelism, worship, and mission. The pastor participates in the professional association of ministers of the word and sacrament which is called the Danville-Riverside Area Ministerial Association (DRAMA). See below for a more detailed, albeit brief, history.