A Century and a Half of History
A mill site since 1846, for most of its commercial life Hanford Mills was owned and operated by the family of David Josiah Hanford, who purchased the mill in 1860.Under the Hanfords, the mill grew into a "rural industrial complex" that included a sawmill, gristmill, feed mill, woodworking shop and hardware store.
In 1898, Hanford Mills harnessed the waters of Kortright Creek to provide the town with its first electricity. Through time, the Hanfords also used steam and gasoline engines to power the mill and its electric dynamo.The mill closed in 1967, re-opening later that year as a museum. In 1973 Hanford Mills Museum was chartered by the State of New York. Its significance as one of the last 19th century mills to survive intact earned it a place on the State and National Registers of Historic Places.
Hanford Mills Museum's mission is to be a leading interpreter of the evolution of power generation and technology and how it contributed to the unsettling of rural America. The Museum is dedicated to preserving and presenting the mill site.To understanding how the Hanford and Pizza families adapted their business operations to respond to changes in technology, markets, and transportation.To illustrating how these activities affected the community.
Celebrate an old-fashioned Fourth at Hanford Mills Museumâ€™s annual Independence Day Celebration. The event features old-fashioned fun, with two frog jumping contests, a fishing derby on the Mill Pond, tug oâ€™ war, and sack races. Visitors also…Read More »
Celebrate An Old-Fashioned FourthJoin us July 4 for a day full of old-fashioned fun, including frog jumping contests, a kidsâ€™ fishing derby on the Mill Pond, sack races and 19th century games, childrenâ€™s activities, great food, Mill tours, and…Read More »