From Season to Season, Blending Traditional & Fresh Earthly Rewards to our Family of Friends Old, New, Near & Far with an Innovative & Positive Atmosphere
In 1956, LeRoy & Shirly Harms bought their chicken farm on Crystal Lake Road. It was there were they had seven children, produced a large vegetable garden and began an egg delivery service. In 1962, the children guided by their mother, began selling their vegetables from their garden on a table out by the road.
Over time, the business grew from a small card table to a wagon and in 1970 they built a building to use as their first summer farm stand. As the children grew and left, it was Dennis who took over the farm in 1974 growing 180 acres of vegetables to sell at the stand and downtown Chicago. By 1980 the McHenry area was growing and changing, greenhouses were added to expand with the times.
Today Dennis with his wife Theresa, their children and several nieces and nephews operate Harms Farm & Garden Center which has become a year round business.