312 Fifth Avenue West
First Baptist Church was founded on October 8, 1844, by fourteen charter members when Hendersonville was a small village of fewer than 500 people.
The original house of worship was erected about 1850 at Caswell and Main Streets. In 1889, a new structure at Fourth Avenue West and Washington Street was occupied. This building was rebuilt in 1911 and again in 1932, and was used until 1954. By 1914, church membership was 608. The Education Building was completed in 1950. The present Sanctuary was completed in 1958. From 1951-1968, church membership increased from 1,400 to 2,000.
In the late 1970’s, the church voted to build the Family Life Center. By 1993, the church purchased several other properties including the Annex and the property between Fifth and Sixth Ave. to be used for classrooms and parking.
Our core values are UPWARD . . .
- We value praising, worshipping, and glorifying God.
- We value the Bible as the inerrant and inspired Word of God and as our guide for the pursuit of God.
- We value relationships with God, both corporate and individual, led by the Holy Spirit, in which God is exalted, revered, and experienced.
- We value prayer as our extraordinary means of communicating to God our praises and petitions because we believe God answers prayer.