The Highland Public Library originated as an offshoot of the Women's Suffrage Campaign in 1915. A reading room for women had started during the Suffrage Campaign and later formed the nucleus of the library. It was chartered in 1915 as an association library. The library had a variety of locations between 1915 and 1929. It occupied space wherever there was room at the time someone’s home, a store, extra room in an office etc.In 1920 the Board of Trustees began looking for a more permanent site for the library after being told by their landlord that the building they were currently in may not be available for another year and if it was the rent would probably go up $5.00 per month. In June of 1920 they were able to raise the funds and purchase a building and corner lot with brick building known as Dr. Ganse’s dental office on the south side of Main Street.
In 1986 the Highland Free library held a vote to become a school district library. The proposition passed and Highland Public Library was established. Instead of serving only the population of the Town of Lloyd the library now served the entire Highland Central School District.In 1988 the Highland Public Library became one of the first libraries in the Mid-Hudson Library System to automate.As technology changes the library continues to grow with the times offering computers for patrons to use for word processing Internet access or to access email The Highland Public Library subscribes to numerous databases accessible from home as well as in the library.
The programs offered have continued to grow and in addition to four weekly story hours, the library now hosts two monthly book discussion groups for adults; bi-weekly crafts at night for children; bus trips every summer and many other programs and services.As the community grows so does the library. The simple reading room of 1915 has grown to include videos, DVDs, books on CD, books on tape, music CDs, toys, audiovisual kits and many other materials to meet the demands of the population served.