First recorded history in Hilltown Township was made of 1683, when William Penn met the Indian Chiefs of the Delaware Nation on the land where Hilltown Village now sits.In those days, it was known as the "Perkasie Indian Town." The for settlers arrived in the approximately 1700. The settlers were mostly Welsh Baptist, with the few Hugenots and the English Quakers. They petitioned the King's Governor to establish a town in 1721.
The old the Bethlehem Road (the Minsi Indian trail), now called Hilltown Pike, was used from the year 1683 to travel from Philadelphia to the Durham iron mines. The Mennonites arrived in 1727, with the Germans coming shortly after. Hilltown Township remained a farming community up until the end of World War II, when new single homes were built here and there. Large developments started at the end of the 1970's.