Hofstra University Arboretum

Hofstra University Arboretum
1000 Fulton Avenue
516-463-6623

About Us:

The 240-acre campus of Hofstra University became a nationally recognized arboretum through the vision and efforts of Dr. James M. Shuart, president emeritus of Hofstra University. During his stewardship of one-quarter century, he guided the transition of a sparsely treed campus into the Hofstra University Arboretum, which in 1985 became a member of the prestigious American Public Gardens Association.

As beautiful as the flowers, shrubs and grasses are, it is the magnificent Hofstra trees that garnered the University status as an arboretum. Today more than 12,000 evergreen and deciduous trees represent in excess of 625 species and varieties. The Hofstra Arboretum includes both native American and rare exotic trees.

Adjacent to the Hofstra University Club (David S. Mack Hall) is another part of the wonderful Arboretum, the Hofstra University Model Bird Sanctuary and Environmental Studies Center. Although the entire campus is a bird sanctuary, the two-acre Model Bird Sanctuary features a hummingbird and a naturalistic rock waterfall.


Photos