Tuesday to Sunday: 11am–5pm
Suggested Admission: $5 per person
The Hunterdon Art Museum connects people to contemporary art, craft, and design in ways that educate, challenge, and inspire.
After serving as a grist mill for more than a century, the Dunham-Parry Mill was purchased by a group of local residents with a vision of creating an arts center.
The Hunterdon Art Museum is housed in a stone mill which sits on the south branch of the Raritan River. The original mill built on this site in 1763 supposedly ground wheat for General George Washington’s revolutionary army during its encampment in Morristown. From 1810 to 1828, Ralph Hunt owned this mill and the Red Mill across the river. At that time, the town became known as Hunt’s Mills until it was changed to Clinton in 1828, in honor of former New York Governor DeWitt Clinton who had recently died.
The most historically significant figure to manage the mill was George M. Taylor, who after graduating from military school and spending three years in the U.S. Navy resigned to return to Clinton Village to go into business. He turned 26 years old when he began running the mill with James R. Dunhan. About two years later the mill burned and Taylor dropped out of the partnership. Taylor helped recruit and lead the 3rd New Jersey Volunteer Infantry and later led the 1st New Jersey Brigade in the Seven Days battles and at Second Manassas (Bull Run) where his brigade stumbled into Stonewall Jackson’s entire corps. Taylor lost a leg in the battle and died from his wounds. He’s buried in the Clinton Presbyterian Churchyard.