According to Mrs. Betty French (former librarian, now deceased) in the Kalkaska County History 1871 - 1971, the library was started in 1934 as a community service project of the Academea Club (a local women's club still actively contributing to the library).
The library became a governmental agency in 1935 through a WPA project. It was named the Kalkaska County Demonstration Library. The funds from the WPA project enabled the library to have a paid librarian. Esther Peck held that position from December 1935 until October 1941. When the book collection outgrew Strang's store balcony, the library moved to the front part of Mrs. Baumgarten's Beauty Shop in the old bank building.
In 1938, the county's Board of Supervisors legalized the newly named Kalkaska County Library by appointing the first Library Board of Directors, consisting of Blanche Lossing, Thelma Strahan, Vera Schneider, Margarethe Klumpp and Clayton Eckhardt. The County contributed $15.00 in order for the library to qualify for state aid of $299.22.
Esther Peck left her position in 1942 and Mrs. Lillian Clymer took her place, followed by Mrs. Betty French from 1960 - 1982. Mrs. Lyrle Zemke followed Mrs. French, and with the exception of one year (1984 - Eric Grandstaff) managed the library until 1992. Kathleen M. Mosher is the present library director, coming to Kalkaska in 1992 after receiving her MSLS degree from Wayne State University.