HISTORY OF KENNETT'S LIBRARY:
At the suggestion of William F. Wickersham, a meeting was held on the evening of Dec. 9, 1893 to consider the possibility of establishing a free public library in Kennett Square. Several meetings followed, and by Feb. 10, 1894, a Board of Trustees consisting of nine members was elected. They applied for a charter, which was granted on Jan. 30, 1895. Thereafter, a lot was purchased from the local bank on the corner of South Broad Street and Apple Alley, and a building erected at a cost of $6,791.50.
The library was dedicated on Sept. 24, 1896, named in honor of Bayard Taylor, and opened to the public on Sept. 28 with a few periodicals and empty shelves. During the day several volumes were received as gifts, and on the following day the contents of the Kennett Square Union Library Company (a circulating library that at the time had no permanent facility) were received.