The Kingston Library became a member of the Kitsap County Library in 1945 after being encouraged by the County Librarian, Hazel Duncan who helped the interested group find an adequate space for its library. An "open house" on July 10, 1945, marked the beginning of service in the small cafeteria room behind the Kingston schoolhouse, a room that was used not only by the children but also by the townspeople.
Mr. George Bonner made the shelves with lumber donated by the Port Gamble Mill. Major Albert Swift, Mrs. Maxine Minert, Mrs. Joseph Pickels, Mrs. Vara Newman, and Mrs. Marie Swift were among the first board members. Mrs. Bernice Refilling was the first librarian.
After the old school house became a part of the County Park System, efforts were made to move the library into one of the school rooms. Major Swift, along with fellow Kingston Rifle Club members built more shelves and arranged them in the former 1st/2nd grade room. In 1959, about 1/3rd of the room was partitioned off for a storeroom and the ceiling was lowered to reduce heating costs. In 1976, it was necessary to remove the partition again since more space was desperately needed. In 1985, the Bayside Community Church moved to their new building and the old building became the Community Center. Capital improvement funds from a library levy were used as start up funds for the Center so the library could be moved to its present location.