The League of Women Voters is a nonpartisan political organization that encourages the informed and active participation of citizens in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy. Members include both women and men.
The National League of Women Voters was founded in 1920 to "finish the fight" after women won the right to vote. Women found they needed to be informed to exercise their right to vote intelligently. The League of Women Voters of Melrose was founded in 1948 as a chapter of the National League of Women Voters. It is a non-partisan educational group that promotes civic responsibility through informed and active participation in all three levels of government: federal, state and local. The League studies and assists city-wide projects that benefit the community as a whole. Men and women are welcome to join.
The Melrose chapter was formed by a small but enthusiastic group of women, some of them newcomers to the city, determined to learn how government worked and to use that knowledge to improve the community. In its more than 60-year history in Melrose, the League has focused on encouraging voter and citizen participation in a number of local topics central to our lives: schools, city management and conservation. The League has been instrumental in bringing about the clean-up of Ell Pond, hiring a qualified city planner, downtown revitalization, acquiring conservation land, citywide recycling and the establishment of the Human Rights Commission and the Alliance Against Violence. League members have served on various boards and commissions, register voters at sites throughout the city, sponsor candidate forums and monitor city government through its Observer Corps.