Add an Article
Add an Event
The Marlboro Fire Department is actually the successor of the Marlborough Fire Association. The Town of Upper Marlboro, formerly spelled Upper Marlborough, was first surveyed in 1706. Fifteen years later it became the County Seat of Prince George's County, and in 1888 became an incorporated town. The first home in Upper Marlboro was built on Water Street. All of the early homes and businesses were along what is now Water Street, Rolling Road (now Elm Street), Church Street, and Main Street. The Western Branch at the foot of Water Street was at one time a small port. Here barges and small boats docked to collect hogsheads of tobacco for shipment abroad and to deliver merchandise and produce to the merchants.