The original Mercer Island Library opened on January 11, 1945, thanks to the Preschool, PTA, and South Mercer Island Community Club. The King County Library System supplied books, and hired Island resident Mrs. Geoffrey Lavendar as the first librarian. Over the years, the building moved to another site and grew through various additions, until the needs for space and support for advancing technology prompted planning for a new building. A bond issue was passed, and the City constructed a new library on the same site. A 14,600 square foot structure of brick with beautiful wood accents opened for business in 1991.