Mission San Fernando Rey de España was founded 8 September 1797 (17th in order) by Padre Fermin Francisco de Lasuén. The mission is named for St. Ferdinand, King of Spain (1217-1252). The Indian name was Pashecgna. A variety of problems, including the 1812 earthquakes and the digging up of the church floor by gold prospectors when gold was discovered nearby caused much of the mission to fall into disrepair. Some restored structures include the church, monastery and some quarters around the quadrangle.