Mt.Waterman is a day ski & snowboard area. We have 3 chair lifts and 25 runs. 65% of our hill is advanced while offering beginner and intermediate runs at the top of the mountain. Lessons for skiing and snowboarding are available. We are an upside down hill, our facilities are located at the top of Chair One. We offer scenic rides to the top of the mountain for all guests on foot to enjoy the mountain. Chair One can be taken back down the hill to the parking lot. The Warming Hut offers amazing views, a fireplace to warm up and food and drink service. Our Ticket Hut is located at the bottom of the mountain offering tickets, apparel and stickers for sale. We do not have equipment rentals on the hill.
We are the closest Skilift area to the L.A basin. The Angeles Crest Highway out of La Canada has recently been repaved providing a nice and safe ride to the hill. There are no gas stations on the mountain so fill up before you come.
In May of 1889, Robert B. Waterman with his wife Liz and their friend Perry Switzer completed a three week hike from La Canada Flintridge to the Antelope Valley and back again. Liz Waterman became the first white non-indigenous woman known to have crossed the San Gabriel Mountains. She placed a cairn on the summit of Mt. Waterman and it was christened "Lady Waterman's Peak" but because of the current attitudes at that time toward woman being a weaker sex the full name was not allowed. Over the years there have been variations on the name always leaving out "Lady". Robert Waterman made numerous futile attemps to restore the original name throughout his life. Today it is known as Mt. Waterman.
In 1891 Loise Newcomb was Homesteading in the San Gabriel Mountains just months before it was federalized and it eventually was passed down to Lynn Newcomb Sr. The first rope tow on Mt. Waterman was started by Lynn Newcomb Sr. and his sons Ren and Lynn Jr., in 1939 and thus began Mt. Waterman Ski Hill. On January 1,1941 they opened the first chairlift to the public. On Opening Day the chairlift brokedown and skiiers had to jump off but they continued to operate and work out the kinks. Lynn Newcomb Jr. took over operations after his father passed on. He kept the ski area the same as it was in 1941, a single chair lift and three rope tows until 1968. They added Chair Two, a fixed grip double, that was opened in the 1968-1969 Winter Season with a spectacular amount of snow. The original single chair was replaced in 1972 with a fixed grip double and Chair Three was added in 1981. Lynn ran the ski hill until the 90's when he sold it to two business men who returned the Hill back to Newcomb with failed efforts. He old again to a group of business men in the late 90's. The resort did not operate Between July 2001 and February 2008 mostly due to failure to meet the U.S. Forest Service Operating requirements.