In 1903, Village Trustees appointed the first Board of Directors and a public reading room was created in Mountain Home. By 1907, the circulating collection was such a smashing success the Library Board approached city fathers to obtain a commitment to an ongoing levy. Following approval, the Andrew Carnegie Foundation provided funds to build a permanent facility and on November 19, 1908 the Mountain Home Carnegie Library, equipped with only with a furnace and the book collection, was dedicated.
In 1973, librarian's left the grand old Carnegie building to setup shop across town at a newly constructed site. (The Carnegie Library became the home of the City's historical museum.) Over the next thirty year period, space again became a premium and voters went to the polls for yet another time. Mountain Home passed a second bond initiative which doubled the size of the existing building and the library reopened on March 17, 2006.
Mountain Home Public Library continues to expand its collection of general interest items and electronic resources, provides public use computers and WiFi access, offers bilingual assistance, has a public use conference room, a commons area with concession area, outdoor patio seating, and is host to a variety of adult and children's events throughout the year.