Add an Article
Add an Event
111 North Pine Street
In 1860, two adjacent structures were built on the corner of Pine & Commercial Streets in the heart of downtown Nevada City.
By 1911, when gold fever had cooled, one had become the home of Nevada City Hardware and the other Newton’s Shoe Store. That year, the Nevada City Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks #518 purchased the two building, joining them by removing both roofs and building a second story lodge hall. Total cost of the property and renovation - an impressive amount for the times - was $50,000. The lodge hall and street-level storefronts served the community for many years.
In 1973, when Greg and Rona Cook opened Friar Tucks restaurant, serving fondue, fine wines, and offering live entertainment, Pine & Commercial Streets became the focus of nightlife in Nevada City .
Very early on the morning of March 20, 2002, a devastating fire gutted the property , a fire that threatened many of downtown’s historic buildings.
After a major cleanup operation, property owners Ken & Kay Baker, and Gary & Patti Tintle initiated a reconstruction program that gave birth to the building standing at Pine & Commercial Streets today — faithful to the architecture and style of the historic structure it replaced.
Nearly a hundred years had passed. The “new” Friar Tuck’s, replacing the Elk’s $50,000 purchase and remodel, cost over $3.5 million to build and reopened late Spring, 2003.