New Dorp is one of the busiest branches on Staten Island. The New Dorp Community Library was established by local residents in 1907. By 1909 it was receiving books from The New York Public Library's Traveling Library (the Bookmobile), and in 1926 New Dorp became a branch of The New York Public Library. In 2000, an extensive renovation was completed including a redesigned exterior and remodeled interior. An expanded children's room, community room, new air conditioning, furniture and shelving, and eleven computers with new telecommunications equipment were added.
Its large collections include books in such languages as Spanish, Chinese, Hebrew, and Russian. The children's room contains "story steps" for toddlers and preschoolers, as well as materials on children's literature, authors, and illustrators.