The Newburyport Public Library was founded in 1854. It opened to public in 1855 in a room in City Hall. The library relocated to the Tracy Mansion in 1865 and opened to the public there on January 1, 1866. Between October 1999 and May 2001, the library moved to an interim location, the Newburyport Public Library at The Anvil Rock Farm, as the $6.8m renovation of the Tracy Mansion and adjoining expanded library facility moved forward. A newly renovated and expanded Newburyport Public Library at 94 State Street reopened on May 6, 2001, and since this date has made welcome between 800 and 900 people each day. The library offers a full range of services to meet the information-seeking, educational, cultural and recreational needs of the greater Newburyport area community within a fully accessible 21st century library facility, and is open 70 hours each week.