Nutley Little Theatre’s history reaches back to the early thirties when a group of men, connected with the Grace Episcopal Church, organized an amateur theatrical group called the Parish Players. Two of the members decided to expand their idea to a town-wide theatre group, so in 1934, Nutley Little Theatre began its career.
Our present “home”, The Barn on Erie Place, a former jam factory, was available for rental and members decided it was necessary to have a place to construct and store sets. NLT rented the barn from 1935 to 1938 and officially purchased it in 1938. In January 1935, the members decided to utilize the stage area on the second floor, and held “workshop” meetings, which included the presentation of one-act plays and staging techniques. In order to inform members of activities, a theatre newsletter was created. The Prompter is still used today to inform our membership of these same types of activities.