Please call before attending any upcoming community events, as it is possible that they may be postponed or canceled as a result of Covid-19.
You can find CDC updates at cdc.gov/coronavirus; AARP has additional resources at aarp.org/coronavirus
The first gathering of people who would become the congregation of Our Saviour Evangelical Lutheran Church took place in 1933, the year Prohibition ended and the first year of Franklin Roosevelt's administration. In 1935, the church was accepted into the United Lutheran Synod of New York. For several years, though, the church had no permanent home. By Easter 1934, services were being held at the First Church of Christ, Scientist in Harmon. From there, the congregation moved to the Harmon Lodge, usually described by charter members as a saloon or bar. But the Lodge did provide a place for a normal Sunday morning schedule and for congregational events. Increasing rent caused services to be moved to a private home on Benedict Boulevard in 1937. The congregation worshipped there until its church was built in 1939. In 1963, the parish hall was dedicated for use by the Sunday School, youth programs, and the community. Thirty years later, the Gotwald Parish Hall still houses Sunday School classes and provides a meeting place for local groups. The Link, the glass hallway connecting the Parish Hall to the original church structure, was dedicated in 1984.