Pickering Hill Farms began in the mid-1800's, when Jack Pickering came from England and started a ranch and meat business. His son Frank later began to raise vegetables, selling them to Cleveland's west side communities. He built a market on the present site in the 1930's to sell his goods.
John, his grandson, took over the operation in the 1960's and, in 1997, John's son Jay built a 6,000 square foot market to serve the growing population of Avon. The Pickering family still runs the business today.