The people who started Quaker Lake had a great vision. Half a century ago, the message went out that Friends were seeking a site for a camp and conference center. Parrish Clodfelter and Milton Hadley of Springfield Friends Meeting knew of such a place. When the 104-acre farm and woodland with a lake came up for sale, it was acquired by the North Carolina Yearly Meeting. The transaction was made possible by sixteen people who signed the deed and loaned the money for the purchase.
The “hut” was donated by Centre Friends Meeting as the original dining hall, which is used today as a small recreational facility. Walter Coble from New Garden Meeting donated three summer cabins. Ed and Beatrice Gruen of First Friends Meeting donated a Quonset hut. By 1952, thousands of dollars and thousands of volunteer hours had been given to initiate the youth camping program. At the close of 1953, over 1700 people had used the growing camp facilities.
In 1962, a campaign for funds to build an all-weather lodge and dining hall was launched under the leadership of Virgil Pike, Orvil Dillon, Edgar Murrow, Margaret Coltrane, and Charlie Hendricks. The main lodge of cedar-log construction was completed in 1964, followed by four winterized cabins of similar construction. These additional facilities allowed year-round usage and programming.
Throughout the years, many additions have been made including a swimming pool and bath house, a picnic shelter by the lake, eight summer cabins and a camping area complete with kitchen and picnic shelter. These additions are examples of the commitment and service given by many people who care about this special place. In 2006, a Multipurpose Building was built which allowed Quaker Lake to accommodate new events and expand programming. The Quaker Lake you see today is truly inspired by the people who took the initiative to make this dream into a reality.