The Rotary Club of Decatur, Alabama was chartered on November 19, 1928 with twenty-four members. The Charter President was E. B. Garner and Julian Harris served as the Charter Secretary. J. Marvin Kelley was the vice-president, A. T. Hanson was Treasurer, and John G. McGehee was the Sergeant at Arms.
The members of the first Board of Directors were E. B. Garner, J. Marvin Kelley, J. A. Woods, Carlisle Blackwell, C. W. Knight and Julian Harris (ex officio).
Other charter members included Gillman Doss, Sidney Patterson, T. M. Jones, Jr., Walter L. Morris, Benjamin Bloodworth, J. Earnest Garrett, Frank Darrow Peebles, George E. Lum, William E. Kimbrough, Lemuel Moorman, William E. Shackleford, Owen Bell, A. C. Bailey, and the Rev. Peter Dennis.
It was agreed and stated in the roster of the charter members that during the first year the new club would not elect more than three members in any one calendar month and no new member would be elected until the club had been elected to membership in Rotary International.
In the 78 year history of this club, we have always excelled in the many projects we have undertaken.