Sacred Heart's first church was affectionately called "The Little White Church on the Corner.
The Early Years:
The Catholic Community of Sacred Heart in Haworth was formed in 1914. This year also marked the 10th Anniversary of the incorporation of the Borough of Haworth. Mr. Benjamin Orcutt, representing twenty families, made application to Bishop John J. O'Connor, D.D. in Newark for permission to form a Catholic community in Haworth.
Much of the effort in organizing the families and preparing the application can be credited to Jennie Dedcker, Emma Ettinger, Matilda Hull and Benjamin Orcutt. Permission was granted if the families could locate a priest from a neighboring town to accept the leadership responsibilities for the formation of a Mission Parish.
Father de Vincentiis (affectionately know as Father D) agreed to take on these duties. Father D was then serving as rector of St. Joseph in Oradell and previously had been responsible for building St. Mary's Church in Dumont.
Father de offered the first mass on December 6, 1914 (appropriately the first Sunday of Advent and the beginning of the Church year). The community met for mass in the real estate office of Mr. J. Hurd, located over the old police headquarters on Terrace Street.
In early 1915, land at the corner of Ivy and Park Street was purchased, for $1600, to build a Church. Ground breaking ceremonies for the "Little White Church on the Corner", as it was to become known in the community, were held on April 26, 1915.
Two months later, the cornerstone was laid on June 27, 1915 and blessed by Right Reverend Dean Cummeely, rector of Holy Trinity Church in Hackensack, assisted by Father D and trustees George Sweeney and Dr. Ettinger.Today the cornerstone from the "Little White Church on the Corner" is prominently displayed in the garden around our current church sign.
From Mission To Church:
In June, 1950 Sacred Heart Church was elevated from mission status to that of a Parochial Church or Parish. Father Joseph Kinsella was appointed the first resident Pastor.
At this time, the Parish Community consisted of 80 families. Father Kinsella realized that the Parish should begin providing for expansion of the Parish Community. Between 1952 and 1954 several parcels of land adjacent to the Church were purchased with the aide of a $30,000 loan from the Archdiocese.
It became apparent that deterioration and aging conditions were developing in the "Little White Church". Father Kinsella applied to Archbishop Boland in Newark for approval to build a new church and auditorium.
In the fall of 1962 the plan was approved and a steering committee formed to raise funds. Parishioners pledged $166,000. The Rosary Altar Society and the Nocturnal Adoration Society also provided very generous contributions. A mortgage for $450,000 was obtained from Hackensack Trust Company.John Trich of Oradell was chosen as the architect. The construction contract was awarded to Sirubi and Sposa of Bergenfield.
The cornerstone of the new church was laid in 1963 and the formal dedication was held on February 2, 1964.