Second Church Of Plymouth

518 State Road
508-224-7220

About

Early documents show that our forefathers wanted to worship away from "the cold doctrinaire attitude" of the original church of the Pilgrims. Dismissal was granted, making the Second Church of Plymouth the sixth to be gathered from the original Church of the Pilgrims. The actual establishment of Second Church was on November 8, 1738. We are proud and grateful that there are families among us who trace their heritage back to the founding members of the church.

Our current structure was dedicated on the present site in 1828. This is the 3rd meeting house of Second Church. The land where our church building stands was given by Mrs. Polly Bartlett and valued at $56. The labor was performed by the parishioners, who tore down the previous building, which was located across the street, where the 7-Eleven now stands. Some of the old materials from that church were used in the current building.

In 1844, Mrs. Phoebe Blackmer urged the Congregation to pass strong resolutions against slavery and for the temperance movement. She was the driving force behind Second Church changing the sacramental wine to grape juice.

A Female Benevolent Society was formed in Manomet in 1848. It is the oldest Protestant Church Women's society known in this country. It's influence on the life and fellowship of the Church is far-reaching. The efforts of this society to raise money through endeavors such as their sewing circle products enabled the church to remain viable for many years.

After the Civil war, with railroad service coming to Plymouth, Manomet became a popular vacation spot. Many folk began to attend services here, and many of those early parishioners have descendants who have take up permanent residence in White Horse and Manomet.

Until 1953, the interior of the sanctuary remained the same as when it was originally built. At that time, a new pulpit was added along with a lectern to the left and right with an alter, cross and choir loft added between. During the 260th Anniversary celebration, in 1998, the Ladies Benefit Society had the original pulpit and accompanying chairs restored to their original condition and returned to the sanctuary.

In 1961, The United Church of Christ was formed when the Congregational Christian Churches and the Evangelical and Reformed Churches joined to form a single denomination. Having always had a close association with other Southeastern Massachusetts Churches, when all these Churches were Congregational in policy and Calvinistic in theology, the Second Church of Plymouth voted to become a member Church of the United Church of Christ.

A Capital Campaign began in 1996 enabling a great deal of work to be accomplished in our Church. The parsonage and sanctuary were completely renovated. New Sunday School space was created with moveable dividers and accessibility for the handicapped was provided.

Under the leadership of the Massachusetts Conference of the United Church of Christ, Second Church adopted a sister church within the Pentecostal Church in Chile. Our Sister Church is located in Val Paraiso, Chile and in 1998 three members of our congregation traveled there to bring greetings and strengthen our Christian ties beyond our countries borders. We continue to send love and support Second Church to our Chilean Christian family. Gifts such as school supplies and books along with missions of labor and love are sent as often as possible.

During a period of growth and change, in 2000-2001, a Church sub-committee of the church studied, under the Rev. Alice Mann, the topic of "Churches in Size Transition." We were seeking guidance on becoming a larger "Program-driven" church, from a smaller "Pastoral" church. During this transitional exploration, we also have discussed the need for a new, larger building.

A new Allen organ was installed in the sanctuary in the Summer of 2006. This newer, modern organ provides a glorious sound system for our Family Service band and traditional accompaniment for hymns at our Traditional worship service. On October 15, 2006 this gift of music was dedicated to the memory of Mrs. Corrine Peck (see "Our Congregation" below), organist at Second Church for 40+ years.


Photos