Slidell Branch Library

555 Robert Boulevard
985-646-6470

History:

During June 1950, as part of the Library Demonstration project funded by the State of Louisiana, a branch was opened in a building owned by the Carroll Plumbing Company. In 1954, the branch relocated to space inside the Slidell City Hall. A 2,000 square foot building at 444 Erlanger Avenue was completed to house the branch in June, 1964. During the 1960's, 1970's, and 1980's the Slidell area experienced a tremendous surge in population growth due to the aerospace industry. This population growth was the impetus behind a bond issue which was approved by St. Tammany Parish voters in the mid 1980's. Construction on a new Slidell Branch building began in 1986 as a result of the bond issue and the branch opened on March 15, 1989. The contemporary style, 22,000 square foot building, has some notable features. A large metal and stone sculpture entitled, Vortex, by Harold Van Hoten stands outside one entrance. The St. Tammany Master Gardeners maintains an educational herb garden on the grounds


Photos