408 Coles Cir # D
The purpose of the College is to provide a learning model which will aid students in increasing their capacity for self development and self expression, and will facilitate their engagement in effective social action as members of the world community.
At Sojourner Douglass College, we believe there are no sharp distinctions between living, learning and working. Therefore, we approach the community as a learning laboratory where learning can be reconciled with action and study, a concept which reflects student growth through social and academic utility.
Within the general goals of establishing an independent institution for historically by passed people, specific objectives have been designed to:
1. Assist community people in the development of skills and mind sets necessary to gain control over social, political, and economic forces which shape their lives;
2. Provide the climate and orientation necessary for leadership and community development;
3. Foster greater emphasis on self fulfillment, self renewal, personal liberty, self awareness, self learning, social justice, and self determination;
4. Foster greater commitment to fundamental social change, diversity, and pluralism; and
5. Provide the student with the opportunity to improve the quality of life for him/herself and the community at large through the acquisition of knowledge, skills, resources and attitudes necessary for a variety of needs.