St. Therese Church and School were founded in 1927 A.D. by Bishop Francis W. Howard and was named St. Therese after St. Therese of the Child Jesus and of the Holy Face, a Carmelite nun, from Lisieux France. St. Therese, also known as The Little Flower, distinguished herself by her burning love of God and her blind trust in Him. She died in 1897 and was canonized a saint in 1925. St. Therese Church was designated as the Diocesan Shrine of The Little Flower.
St. Therese Church and School are located on Alexandria Pike in Southgate, Campbell County, Kentucky. Alexandria Pike was originally chartered in 1818 as the Newport and Cynthiana Turnpike Road Company and was the first turnpike in Campbell County Kentucky. A traveler from Newport, Kentucky using this route would go out Monmouth Street to the South, crossing over the tracks of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad, and then going up the hill to the tollgate which is now the intersection of Carothers Road.