To support the lifelong enjoyment of reading and learning by providing for the recreational, informational and educational needs of its patrons.
The Springdale Women's Club started the library in Springdale. They donated $16.25 for the materials needed to begin. Today one book costs more than $16.25! On March 14, 1933 the library opened in a basement room of the School Street School. That school building was located on the same ground that the library is on today. The library was open every Tuesday evening from 6:45 to 8:00. All the books and magazines were donated. The card catalog was in a shoebox.
In 1943, the library moved to 915 Pittsburgh Street, a storefront building where there was more room. By 1951 there were 3,000 books on the library shelves. Today we have approximately 35,000 books, we subscribe to 53 magazines, and have video cassettes, DVDs, Books on tape, and CDs.
On April 3, 1954 the library moved to 815 Pittsburgh Street into a large, old-fashioned house. When George Uhlinger, a Springdale businessman, died, he left money to the town. This money was to be used to construct a building that would house the town's business offices, a community center, and the library. October 2, 1978 was the day that the library was moved into this building. We are very proud of our library and the way it has grown.
Springdale Library is a member of the Allegheny County Library Association. The library is an independent library with a Board of Directors that establishes the rules and regulations for the library. Patrons can borrow materials from any Library in the county which will be delivered to Springdale. These items can be returned to Springdale or any Public Library in Allegheny County.