St. John the Evangelist Parish was founded in 1883, having been briefly a mission of North Attleboro with St. Mary's in Norton.
September 17, 1883: a cornerstone is laid for the wooden church, (pictured on the left). The basement was finished in December of 1883, where Masses were held.
September 22, 1885: the new Gothic Style wooden church, located on 150 North Main St. was dedicated.
1891: a rectory is built across the street at 155 North Main St.
1904: the church is now part of the newly formed Diocese of Fall River.
1908: land is purchased on West St. for SJE Cemetery.
1930: plans are finalized for a new and grander church designed by Maginnis and Walsh of Boston.
1932: a fire destroys the original church, while flying embers destroy local homes, and even the new church structure.
November 6, 1932: the new stone Gothic Church at 133 North Main St. is dedicated.
1947: a house at 165 North Main St. is renovated as a Convent for the Sisters of Mercy, who arrived to supervise the Religious Education Program at the church.
September 4, 1955: a new school, St. John the Evangelist, opens for Pre-Primary and Grade 1. The Sisters of Mercy staff the school.
1959: plans for Bishop Feehan High School are announced by Bishop James Connolly. The Sisters of Mercy make plans to move to the new convent there.
1960's: the church is renovated and liturgical changes from Vatican II are implemented.
1961: The Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, (CCD), is established.
1983: the parish celebrates their 100th Anniversary.
1996-1997: new plans are announced for a new Parish Center and Rectory near the church.
1998: the new Parish Hospitality Center is dedicated.
2005: the parish school celebrates their 50th Anniversary.
2010: new plans are announced for a new addition to St. John the Evangelist School.