Our Mission is "To preserve, promote and present the history of Yarmouth, Massachusetts."
The Historical Society of Old Yarmouth was founded in 1953 to preserve, and develop community interest in, the history of Yarmouth. Led by Caroline Siebens and Ann Maxtone-Graham, the Historical Society soon grew to more than 500 members who set about collecting the objects and documents that could convey Yarmouth's past, and promoting the preservation of historical sites in the town.
In 1956 Guido Perera, a descendant of original Yarmouth settler Anthony Thacher, gave to the Society an historic house on Yarmouth Port's Common, as well as 50 acres of adjoining woodlands. This generous gift, now the Captain Bangs Hallet House Museum and the Historical Society Nature Trails, provided a headquarters for the Society's important work.