300 E. Main Street
When a fire breaks out in Schwenksville, the volunteers of the Schwenksville Fire Company are ready to respond and fight the blaze. When they are not keeping things cool in town, however, the members of Station 73 spend their time with numerous fund raising activities. It takes a lot of money to operate a volunteer fire company and Schwenksville is no exception. These volunteers are trying to pay the bills but they are also trying to keep the history of the Company and the Community alive. While times have changed, equipment, equipment modernized and tactics improved, the spirit of the previous generations still bums.
560 feet of pipe was laid to the Industrial Hall, which is today’s Borough Hall. a fire hydrant was then erected in front of the hall. Bromer then acquired 200 feet of hose, which was sufficient to reach the primary buildings of the early village. When the water was turned on the natural force of the down hill fall was sufficient to send a stream over the building without the use of an engine.
In 1874, civic minded citizens held meetings which resulted in the organizing of the Schwenksville Fire Company, which raised funds much the same as they do, through community carnivals. A shallow-well hand drawn pumper was purchased. The first piece of fire equipment proved unsatisfactory. In 1888 the pumper was replaced with a more modern pumper. In addition a ladder wagon was purchased. Both were hand drawn but had shafts to allow use of horses.
The Schwenksville Fire Company is a volunteer organization on call all hours of the day and night. In order to guarantee that the day Schwenksville area always has good fire protection, the citizens of today and tomorrow must keep the spirit alive. The maintenance of the antique equipment is the only way to access that history. Recently construction was started on a glass enclosure at the fire house. Here, the apparatus will be stored in a climate controlled environment and will be on display at all times