The Siege Museum

The Siege Museum
15 West Bank Street

The Exchange Building is the only National Historic Landmark in the City of Petersburg. In the first half of the 19th century, most commercial centers in the United States possessed a Merchants Exchange. In 1830 the Petersburg Exchange was incorporated, and one of the original incorporators was David Dunlop, an important Petersburg tobacco manufacturer. Construction on the building began in 1839, and in 1841 the Exchange was completed, based on the design of a Mr. Berrien from New York.