The Town of Charlton was erected from the Town of Ballston, Saratoga County, New York, on March 17, 1792. It was named to honor a renowned New York physician, Dr. Charlton. Previously it had been called "Freehold", by its settlers, who were mostly emigrants from Freehold, New Jersey. Charlton is composed of the areas of Harmony Corners, West Charlton, Blue Corners, Little Troy, and the Hamlet of Charlton which is listed of the National Register of Historic Places.Today, approximately 4,000 people live in Charlton.
Charlton's neighborly attitude makes it an attractive place to locate or visit. We are ideally located just minutes from many cultural, educational and recreational venues. Albany, the Capital City, and the renown Saratoga Springs area.