Manchester is a town in Kennebec County, settled in 1775 and incorporated on August 12, 1850, as the large town of Kennebec. The Manchester Community Church was organized in 1833 and still serves the community near a busy intersection and across from the town offices.
After annexing land from Readfield in 1852, the town ceded land to Winthrop, Readfield, Augusta and Hallowell through 1873, and annexed land from Hallowell and Farmingdale in 1870.
The name was changed to Manchester in 1854 after a town in Massachusetts, home to some of its residents.
The town has substantial frontage on Cobbosseecontee Lake and is served by U.S. Route 202 and Maine Routes 11, 17 and 100.