On October 10, 1667 the Connecticut General Assembly authorized the "making of a village on the east river" to 38 planters and freemen. The "long highway" located on the ridge of the hill above the sandy plain along the Quinnipiac River is the present Main Street in Wallingford. On May 12, 1670 the bounds were set in the settlement and about 126 people settled in the Town in temporary housing. Six-acre lots were set out and by the year 1675, 40 houses stretched along the street.
During the nineteenth century, Wallingford industry expanded with a considerable concentration of small pewter and Britannia ware manufacturers. By mid-century, Robert Wallace acquired the formula for nickel silver and established with Samuel Simpson, R. Wallace & Company the forerunner of Wallace Silversmiths. It was also during this period that many of the small silver and Britannia plants were combined to form the International Silver Company with its headquarters in Meriden and several plants in Wallingford.