Trinity United Methodist Church

1205 Dolley Madison Boulevard
703-356-3312

History

We express our faith through acts of fellowship, service and compassion.

The United Methodist Church. Founded by John Wesley in 1739, the United Methodist Church has about10 million members worldwide, with over 8 million in the US. The United Methodist Church was created in 1968 when Bishop Reuben H. Mueller, representing The Evangelical United Brethren Church, and Bishop Lloyd C. Wicke of The Methodist Church joined hands at the General Conference in Dallas, Texas. The Church has a history of concern for social justice, and also stands for the economic, political, social, and technological initiatives to support a sustainable world.

Trinity. 1820, 18 men and women formed a church generally known as Nelson's Chapel with William Watters, the first American-born itinerant Methodist minister and a leader of Methodism in his time. In 1858 the Chapel united with other churches and changed its name to Trinity. The building that served the congregation from 1858-1893 still stands on Georgetown Pike.

In 1893 a new building was erected and was named Langley Methodist Church - now a meeting house for the Society of Friends. In 1924 the inactive church almost closed, but was saved through the efforts of Louisa Arnold and the congregation grew again. In 1955 the educational wing was erected. In 1961 the sanctuary, kitchen, library (named for Mrs. Arnold) and several more rooms were added. On December 17, 1961 the first service was held in the new sanctuary. 

Photos