Waterville Public Library

206 White Street
315-841-4651

More than a building or a collection of books, the Waterville Public Library is a thriving public resource a place to seek out information and take advantage of special programs for children and adults. It is a place to meet with friends and to showcase community talents. The Waterville Public Library is an essential element of the quality of life in our community and is a gateway to the world beyondThe first known interest in a public library appeared in 1874 when the board of education spent $150 for books to be kept in the Union School Building but to be accessible to all. This library opened May 1, 1874 with 155 volumes. There were more applicants than books. On incorporation of the Union School as an academy, the State Board of Regents said it would appropriate for a library a sum equal to that raised by the citizens, providing the sum did not exceed $250. The money was raised by a benefit program held at Putnam Hall.The board of education granted the use of a room on the third floor of the Union Free

School building and transferred to the trustees the school library of about 500 books as a nucleus.Books were added from time to time and as the number of patrons increased so did the need for additional room. By 1908 the need for larger quarters became a grave concern to the trustees. About that time the Young Men's Christian Association building was unused.In July 1939 the state charter was revoked and the library became autonomous. In November 1991 the charter was amended to provide that the board consist of not less than five, nor more than eleven members. In 1965 the library became a member of the Mid-York Library System. A Friends of the Library group was established in 1994. March 1995 saw the library recognized as an Electronic Doorway Library by the New York State Education Department. An electronic doorway library provides a 2-way flow of requests and information into and out of a library by electronic means. In 1997, the library made CD-ROM reference resources available to its patrons, and 1998 has brought full Internet access and a World Wide Web presence for the library. In 2006 after we decided that we have used the old library to it's fullest capabilities, the library moved from 220 East Main Street into a new facility at 206 White Street with more space for books and storage