Please call before attending any community events. It is likely that they will be postponed or canceled as a result of the coronavirus. You can find CDC coronavirus information at cdc.gov/coronavirus; AARP has additional resources at aarp.org/coronavirus
"Founded in 1910... This church exists not for itself, but the community in the midst of which God has placed it. We trust that all persons finding their way here will come to know it as a house of worship, a school for learners, a field for workers, a shelter for the weak, a citadel for the strong where Jesus reigns alone." (Sunday Bulletin, January 2, 1927)
Wesley started reunions since the summer of 1910 in the Tabernacle located at 32nd and Military (32 ² x 70 ² ). The 1910 Journal of Methodist Episcopal Church which was held at Alva, Oklahoma on October 19-23 reveals that Frank A. Colwell was appointed pastor for a new church in North Oklahoma City . D. G. Murray was District Superintendent of this district.
The little 'cow shed' located at 32nd and Military was dedicated by Bishop Win. A. Quayle on December 25, 1910 .
Early in 1911, District Superintendent D. G. Murray transferred 29 Methodists out of the discontinued Federated Organizational Church to Wesley. The alert trustees of Wesley were highly encouraged and found a new location on Northwest 25th and Classen Boulevard where a site was purchased for $600, and a new church was built: "the sheep shed". The first church service held there was in August 13, 1911
Also, in early 1911, officers were elected and the name "Wesley" was adopted at the suggestion of Mr. and Mrs. R. E. Bradshaw.
1911. Wesley legally organized on January 27, 1911 under the name of Wesley Methodist Episcopal Church of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma with the signees: R. E. Bradshaw, J. M. Smith, Edwin Stephenson, H. B. Turner and A. H. Tyler. Wesley had 136 members by that time.