Wicomico Public Library began as a subscription library in 1869, only two years after the formation of the county itself. By 1878 the library had increased its membership from 30 to 100 members. In the early 1900s interest waned and the library closed. It was successfully re-launched in 1916 and by 1923 was operating on a subscription of $1.00 a year.
By 1925, the library was recognized as a needed community service and the idea of free library service in Wicomico County was born. The doors opened on February 2, 1926 as the Salisbury-Wicomico Free Public Library; open two afternoons and one evening a week. This became officially known as the Wicomico County Free Library with the approval of the certificate of corporation on June 24, 1927. The need for more space moved the library to High Street, in its own building in 1934. In 1948 the first bookmobile was purchased and began service.