Historical Markers

Old Judge Coffee Bldg.

Marker is on North Second Street near Lucas Avenue, on the left when traveling south.

Read More...

Rue de l’Eglise

Marker is on North Second Street near Lucas Avenue, on the right when traveling south.

Read More...

Old Mission Hotel

Marker is on Morgan Street near North First Street, on the left when traveling west.

Read More...

La Grande Rue

Marker is on North First Street near Morgan Street, on the left when traveling north.

Read More...

Joseph Pulitzer

Marker can be reached from North 4th Street near Market Street, on the right when traveling south.

Read More...

Dred and Harriet Scott

Marker is on North 4th Street near Market Street, on the left when traveling north.

Read More...

La Rue Missouri

Marker is at the intersection of Chestnut Street and North Broadway, on the left when traveling east on Chestnut Street.

Read More...

The Mississippi Valley Trust Company

Marker is on North 4th Street near Pine Street, on the left when traveling north.

Read More...

Merchant Laclede Building

Marker is at the intersection of North 4th Street and Olive Street, on the left when traveling north on North 4th Street.

Read More...

Museum Building

Constructed between 1859 and 1860, this neoclassic building is one of only five original structures at the Garden by Henry Shaw. While the exterior was designed by George l.Barnett, the interior resembles Museum No. 2, the Economic Botany Museum at the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.

During Shaw’s lifetime, the building served as a natural history museum, a library, and herbarium, with more than 60,000 specimens, and was a visible reminder to all visitors that this Garden was more than just a pretty park, but also a scientific institution.

Made of Missouri limestone and locally manufactured bricks, the building retains many of its original architectural features, such as the tile floors, built-in bookcases, and woodwork. The original ceiling mural, painted by Leon Pomaréde, was restored in 1930 along with the ceiling. During the 20th century, the building was used for research, meeting space, office space and even a restaurant.

Read More...
Type in your Search Keyword(s) and Press Enter...