Our family farm's history began in the mid 1850's when a German immigrant by the name of John Conrad Soergel settled on this very spot and began planting apple trees. The apples were sold wholesale for the first half of the 1900's, but in the mid 1960's a severe spring frost left very few apples on the trees. At this time, Warren and I decided it was not worth the trip to town everyday to sell the few apples we had. We started our own roadside stand at the corner of Brandt School Road and Wexford Bayne Road (now Route 910). When the business outgrew the original building, a larger stand was built. Then, in 1973, Interstate 79 claimed 14 acres of apples. Nevertheless, our family felt it was time for further expansion. In the early 1970's, the present market was established.
Our farm consists of 450 acres in several different locations. The original house, located next to the market, burned to the ground in 1911, but was rebuilt on the same foundation. Around the market we have planted a variety of fruit trees, mostly apple, but also cherry, plum and peach. Richard and Mary Kay live off of Wexford Run Road and have many varieties of apple trees on their farm. Both Reed and Danetta and Linda and Larry own farms one mile apart in Connoquenessing Township in Butler County. The corn, pumpkins, more peaches and many of the garden vegetables are grown at these farms. Reed and Danetta also raise our farm fresh turkeys for Thanksgiving. Randy and Beth live around the corner from the market and their main interest is the greenhouse end of the business. Randy started with several greenhouses as a complement to the market in 1980. Since then, the Garden Center and other greenhouses have been added.
In 1986 we began our own rack and cloth cider press, which Larry operates. He presses at least two times a week and more often in the fall. We also supply apple cider to Arrowhead Wine Cellars who produce our delicious apple wine that we sell in our wine shop. A pasteurizer was added in 1997 to ensure a completely safe product for our customers. The fall of 1987 saw the expansion to a full-scale bakery and deli department. Delicious freshly baked pies, cookies and pastries are available seven days a week.
Naturally Soergel's was opened in the Spring of 2009 to include a full line of wheat-free, gluten-free, allergen-free, natural products to meet the growing special dietary needs of our community. Our newest addition, in the fall of 2010, was the opening of our furniture room, housing beautifully crafted pieces from the Pennsylvania and Ohio Amish.